Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:20:23 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kudos...

> > > The only thing that I don't know if can be fixed (or even matters), but
> > > x11amp does generate:
> > >
> > > sched_setscheduler: Function not implemented
> > >
> > > It doesn't seem to affect performance or how it operates though...
> >
> > No; this is (sort of) the Linux equivalent of the FreeBSD rtprio stuff.
> > x11amp is attempting to change the scheduling algorithm that's applied
> > to it to improve its chances of keeping up.
> >
> > We had some Posix scheduler stuff done, but I think we fumbled the
> > ball.  If Peter Dufault is still around he would be able to answer that
> > better.
> >
> > Peter?
>
> I'm half around.  I fumbled that ball.

We all fumbled it.  Put the scourge away. 8)

> There are patches that probably won't apply anymore on freefall.
> They are too ambitious for the time I have, adding a "level 0"
> implementation of all new POSIX stuff so that you can test for
> feature presense and add pieces in via an LKM.

Is the original submitter still around?  Jordan was agonising over not
having run with his work as-was the other night.

> I wanted to add everything in one swell foop for consistency.  Take
> a look at the patches and see if you agree I went too far - I think
> they are in ~ftp/pub/dufault/posix4.tgz.

I don't actually think this *does* go too far.  I certainly see the
value in consistency, and in particular if we haven't completely
dispirited the original author, they're more likely to look after it if
we adopt their entire design.

> This weekend I'll try to strip out only the scheduler sections and
> commit that to current.

I'd go with the whole thing.  You'll want to stick your copyright in
there &c.

The system call question you ask; I would go with option 3.  The only
existing implementation I was able to find was theirs, and unless there
is a major difficulty with implementing that model, it would make
maintaining compatability somewhat easier.

Thanks, and it's good to know you're still around!