Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 1999 05:01:09 -0500
From:      Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        netbsd-alpha@netbsd.org, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (PROBLEM SOLVED) Re: restore to srm that doesn't.... (fwd)

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 09:39:48AM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>

> > An interesting FYI about CIA. Jay works at Digital....

Early Pyxis chipsets have fairly dreadful DMA bugs, too, IIRC.  I distinctly
recall a few people who could basically never get acceptable performance from
any operating system on their pc164lx motherboards, even Digital UNIX.

Interesting tidbit: a PC164 (no LX) with all the memory slots full has more
memory bandwidth than a PC164LX, because the PC164LX can't interleave its
SDRAM.  It's also a lot less likely to have various dreadful bugs...
nb01.netbsd.org is a pc164 which chugged along as a fileserver for me for
months with great performance and no notable problems.  I kinda wish they'd
kept making the plain PC164 a little longer...

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"