Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 1994 16:45:55 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Don't scream..

Nate Williams <nate@bsd.coe.montana.edu> writes:

>> I've talked to both Poul-Henning Kamp and David Greenman about this,
>> and we all think that a snap-shot of FreeBSD-current under the
>> brand-name (and version) of 2.0.5 is quite possible, and perhaps even
>> eminently desirable.  Sure, there will be some bugs in -current.
>
>It appears there are some pretty significant bugs in the networking code
>that need to be addressed before -current would be usable.  Most of the
>people running -current report that they can't get their IP connections
>to work at all, and this is completely unacceptable for a BSD OS.
>
>To me, the above bug is much worse than throwing together another
>release that is not well-tested.

Being a non-optimist I am surprised that a 2.0.5 based on -current is being
considered.  I would expect that a 2.0.1 (note the small minor revision
implying only tiny changes) would be rolled consisting of 2.0 plus only
the improved install floppies and minor bug fixes, individually identified
and installed (pppd is the only thing I've patched on my 2.0 system).

A number of things have already changed to make my 2.0 network binaries
not work with the -current kernel.  This is not encouraging news for the
proposed (and rushed) 2.0.5.

I realise that I may be too late in this instance, but you can take it as
read for next time!

Stephen.

BTW, 2.0 is a real buzz!  Just because I'm pessimistic doesn't mean 2.0 isn't
giving me jollies already!