Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 21:21:58 +1200
From:      Mark Ibell <marki@paradise.net.nz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   What about LFS?

Hi,

With all the debate that has gone on lately about FFS vs EXT2
performance, stability, etc, I decided to try out NetBSD 1.5.1's LFS. It
looks incredibly promising from the few initial tests I've run on it. As
an example, unpacking FreeBSD 4.3's ports tarball on it takes an
incredible 38s on my Celeron 400 w/ 4GB IDE drive. This contrasts with
about 1m09s for both ReiserFS & EXT2FS and about 6m33s for FFS +
SOFTUPDATES.

Not only was the speed incredible but you could just whack reset and the
system would mount the LFS filesystem immediately (sometimes with a
brief ~3s checkpoint) and continue booting as if nothing had happened.
Awesome!

Anyway, I'm curious as to why this code was removed from the FreeBSD
sources some time ago as it appears to show more that a little promise?
Perhaps some reintegration is called for.

Cheers,
Mark