Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:36:11 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: driver for SMC 9432 TX network card

At 01:59 PM 9/21/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Toby Swanson wrote:
>
>> What driver is used for the subject network card?
>
>The tx driver should work for you there.

That one works.

>> Has anyone used one of these?
>
>Not me personally.

I just put a couple of these into freebsd machines.  I have to admit, I
don't think they're as good as either the previous etherpower cards or the
intel card recommended below.  I haven't done any real tests with them,
they just seem slower than the intel card to me.  They do seem to fucntion
just fine though.

>> I plan to install a 100 Base TX network when I upgrade my FreeBSD
>> server.  Does anyone have recommendations on network cards to use or
>> avoid?
>
>I'll echo the suggestion of the Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+.

I'll agree with this one.  I had one of these in one of our freebsd
machines, and it worked like a charm.  The previous generation of SMC
etherpower cards was based off the dec chipset, and that's a pretty good
card too (the mud I admin has one of those in the machine).

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu