Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 20:10:38 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        jgrosch@MooseRiver.com
Cc:        "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetGear 10/100 Ethernet: an oversight?

Josef Grosch wrote:

> On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 11:40:12AM -0400, Mark J. Taylor wrote:
> >
> > The NetGear 10/100 Ethernet card is not supported in -current.
> > It is supposedly DEC 21140-based.
>
> The NetGear Ethernet cards were based on the DEC "Tulip" chip a while
> back. In this configuration they were a very good NIC. However NetGear has
> stopped manufacturing these with the DEC "Tulip" chip, probably had
> something to do with the fact that Compaq bought DEC, and are now shipping
> with something else. So much for NetGear.

When Compaq bought DEC, most of DEC's network manufacturing, including
the design rights to the Tulip chip, were bought by Bay Networks, nee
Nortel.  I assume the FA310TX is still being made with the Tulip,
unless Bay got smart and killed it.  In that case, it's probably
either a PNIC or the other Tulip-like chip from Winbond.

Unfortunately their website http://netgear.baynetworks.com is completely
unhelpful, so I can't confirm any of the above.  Just for giggles, you
may want to see if you can probe the thing as a pn or wb device, that'll
tell you if it's just a PNIC or Winbond chip.