Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 95 10:23:48 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

> Setting up cross-compilation environment if very difficult to do, and
> making it work while not affecting normal compilation would be more work
> than it would be worth.  However, if you are willing to present us with
> the patches necessary for this to work, I'm sure you'd find someone to
> champion the work and make it work right.

The biggest pain I have found in trying to make this work (I did my
initial work on 386BSD 0.0 and 0.1 on a Sun hosted environment because
I couldn't get a machine up until the kernel had been patched in at
least 3 places) was the compilation tools.

GCC's idea of a hosted cross-compilation environment is orthoganal
to the idea of the compiler being a system component and to the
cross-compilation environment being a system instead of an application.

The clearest artifact of this is the way it handles include files
and the compiler having an expectation of the cross-compilation
and compilation environments having the same install tree.

Anything that gets done will eventaully have to reflect a special
status fo the tools.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---