Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:38:39 -0500
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "Kent Ho" <kent@outblaze.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: I can't seems to compile mrtg using ports.

Hi,

    This problem could be caused for 2 reasons:

1.- The pakage mrtg-2.7.2.tar.gz isnt anymore in the specified server.
2.- You dont have an Internet connection at the moment that you tried this.

And I have just checked the page and the pakage its there, so the only thing
that I can think its that you didnt have an internet connection at the
moment that you tried to compile the port, you must have an internet
connection, because the ports tree just have the Makefiles, and patches to
make them work, but the ports tree doesnt have the sources, it just tries to
fetch them from the internet, or if you have the FreeBSD CD, just copy the
file to "/usr/ports/distfiles", and try again.

BTW I have just did it and here its the relevant output from version 2.7.2:

unix# make
>> mrtg-2.7.2.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/.
Receiving mrtg-2.7.2.tar.gz (229489 bytes): 100%
229489 bytes transfered in 26.5 seconds  (8.47 Kbytes/s)

P.S. Try upgrading your ports tree, the actual version for this port its
2.8.8

Have Fun...
Ales

> Hi all,
>
> I can't seems to compile mrtg using ports, I got this error message when
> i do "make install".
>
> >> mrtg-2.7.2.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
> >> Attempting to fetch from
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/.
> fetch: empty reply from ee-staff.ethz.ch
> >> Attempting to fetch from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.