Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 1999 21:17:43 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "bitter@noah.org" <bitter@noah.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need comparative data

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:56:06 -0700 (PDT), bitter@noah.org wrote:

>I'm coming from a large company that uses mostly Sun Solaris and a bit of WinNT.
>A group of us is trying to put together a low cost system to run a load
>balanced web server (currently 4 Ultra2 running Netscape Enterprise server)

One common answer to the XYZ vs ABC OS in the Free Unix world is try
them!
Specially if "coming from a large company"

There are business rules, standards and simply the way things are done
at each company that have absolutely nothing to do with technical
merits... these are many times the things you will need to use to
convince the business side to let you choose a tool/OS.

I would venture to say that you would get a more favorable response
from the business if you show them you are making decisions based on
"your setup" and not based solely on "specs".

At the very least pick one or two computers for 3 to 5 days and play
with each OS.
That is very little compared to how much time it would take you to
migrate from one OS to another after you have configured everything and
it was not what you expected/wanted.