Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:02:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        todd ritzka <acidrop50@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help???

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, todd ritzka wrote:

> hello i need help. i forgot my root password and now i
> cant login as root anymore, please help!

You need to boot in single user mode. If you can log in at all and you
have a user that is in the operator group run shutdown now. You will get a
root shell. Use passwd root to change the password. If you cant login at
all you have to press any key when instructed just as the OS is booting,
then type boot -s.

Once you have booted (and selected a shell) type:

 mount -a
 mount -u -o rw /

then use passwd root.

Also check out the FreeBSD FAQ
http://www.au.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#AEN2117

> also, i need instruction on how to download files from
> the ftp site, i have no idea how to do this, any
> direction would be much apprechiated!!!!!!!!

Try typing man ftp. You are looking for the get command probably.

Hope this helps,

Andrew