Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:45:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Panick" - help needed...

i just tried this on linux 1.3.99 for grins. It does not crash the
system. It just makes the system totally unusable. X locks up, my 'top'
window stops updating, etc.

This is an interesting phenomenon I see happening in linux, which is it
appears to be becoming optimized for benchmarks, specifically lmbench,
but is (maybe as a result?) becoming less useful for real work. I've had
20-30 second waits for an 'ls' to complete on one virtual console while
a heavy disk cruncher was running on another virtual console. This is
ridiculous. There's something strange happening in the scheduler. I have
not seen such behaviour in any other system save the early solaris
2.0-2.2 releases. And yet lmbench is telling me it's a good scheduler?

If anyone runs this on a freebsd desktop i'd be interested in what you
observe -- how does interactive response function as this program runs.
Does the system become unusable for interactive use as does linux or does
the system just keep plugging along. Same for NT if anyone wants to fool
with it.

thanks
ron

Ron Minnich                |"If you leave out all the killings, D.C. has as
rminnich@sarnoff.com       | low a crime rate as many cities" --
(609)-734-3120             |  D.C. Mayor Marion Barry
ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html