Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:23:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        semen@iclub.nsu.ru, FreeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SDT-7000 and other DDS-2 tapes

On 29-Mar-98 Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> Simon Shapiro wrote...
>>
>> On 25-Mar-98 Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>> > Simon Shapiro wrote...

>> >       What do you mean by "in shared mode"?
>>
>> I use most of my SCSI devices on a shared bus between two FreeBSD boxes.
>> Part of the (still developing) High Availability Server I am working on.
>
>       Interesting indeed.  You might be interested to know that the CAM
> tape driver does a reserve unit on open, so any other initiators on the
bus
> won't be able to muck with the drive when one initiator has it open.  (of
> course, it cancels the reservation at final close)

Great, but the DPT controller does that in the firmware already.  I cannot
wait to move the driver to CAM, but no time so far :-(

If you have (something I asked Justin for :-) a list of API routines the
CAM produces ( a brief ``what it does'' will be great!), and entry points
expected of a driver, you will xut my development time by a week or two.