Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 1996 10:10:48 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        HCI <bohandas@best.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firewall

HCI wrote:

> Can ipfw be used to hide my intranet with my generic intranet numbers?
>
> I need to have my intranet all use one real ip address,like socks.
>
> Brian

ipfw can be used to *filter* unwanted traffic. If you have unofficial IP
addresses on your LAN you should filter out everything (which is best
done by turning off routing). If you want socks, you can use it. Another
option might be to use application level proxies (such as those in the
fwtk), or th NAT feturte of the IPfilter package.

ipfw *will not* enable you to have Internet access from machines with
unofficial addresses. You must have some type of proxy/NAT for that.

Nadav