Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 18:40:54 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "James P. Brewster" <web-designs@virtual-net.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Modems and NeoMagic (was: Unix)

On Tue, Oct 21, 1997 at 12:41:11AM -0700, James P. Brewster wrote:
> I have free/bsd installed on my laptop, but I cannot access the
> internet because free/bsd does not come with any compatible drivers
> for my modem.  I have a U.S Robotics/Megahertz XJ1560 56k. modem.
> If you have any suggestions please let me know??

What makes you think the drivers can't handle your modem?  We need
more information on this one.  Please check
http://www.lemis.com/questions.

> Also I can only use a generic driver for my video card, it is a Neo
> Magic possibly made by Yamaha?

I don't think it's made by Yamaha, but yes, unfortunately you're
right, NeoMagic is not supported by XFree86, since they refuse to
divulge programming details.  Check http://www.xig.com for a
commercial driver that does support it.

> If you have any suggestions for that also please notify me!!

You could try running X in 640x480 mode.  I think it would work, but
it's not much fun.

Greg