Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:29:36 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd@bugtracker.compusa.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems with smp on compaq 1600

> > btw what does this mean? Extended Table HOSED!

It probably means that your APIC table has the traditional off-by-one
Compaq error.  Note that your situation also looks like the traditional
"no clock interrupts" hang.

> Ok, after comparing the two tables, it looks like you have interrupts on pins
> higher than 23, which might be the problem.  Peter, does -current support 32
> APIC ints now?  If so, you could try installing a current snapshot as a test to
> see if it works.  If it does, then 5.0 will run in Full mode fine, but 4.x will
> need the mapped mode.

Actually, either mode *should* work with 4.x, since we pack intpins down
based on their usage, not their pin number (Tor fixed this a while back).
I've installed 4.2 on a ProFusion box with a single 64-pin APIC (the RAID
controller was on pin 50-something).