Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:47:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SSHD

<<On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:41:12 -0400 (EDT), Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu> said:

> I can't give you a good advice on how to fix 4.1
> You may want to try upgrading the whole ports tree, but that won't
> probably work.

The ports system works, with some exceptions, on systems as old as
3.4.  It is necessary to make a few minor changes in Mk/bsd.port.mk in
order for this to work, but beyond that most stand-alone program ports
work just fine, so long as the code actually supports old systems.
(That's precisely what I did with sshd on one of my 3.4 systems and a
couple of old 5-current systems a few months ago.)

-GAWollman