Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:20:04 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnet idiosyncracies

In the last episode (Dec 17), Philip J. Koenig said:
> I have an HP Procurve switch that I periodically use telnet to
> access.  It is "menu driven" insofar as it uses the cursor keys to
> activate menus, and it makes much use of reverse-video to highlight
> choices in the menus as you cursor up/down.
>
> When I telnet to this box from the FreeBSD console, it's not
> interpreting this correctly and I can't see any obvious telnet
> options that would fix it.  What I see are the string "25l" appearing
> at the end of lines when I use the cursor key, and sometimes all over
> the screen.

It's ignoring your TERM variable setting and sending vt100 escape
codes.  Netware servers do the same thing when you try to telnet to
them.  Whenever I have to telnet to something that doesn't recognize
cons25, I do it under screen (ports/misc/screen).  Hasn't let me down
yet (and yes, I have HP Procurve switches, so it'll definitely work in
your case).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com