Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 10:29:14 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        current@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: exmh and current.. anyone?

>  From The Desk Of Jeffrey Hsu :
>  >   > How do you work around the stupid tcl8 problem?
>  >
>  > I had to do this the other day and I just ftp'ed the tcl8 and tk8
>  > distribution from ftp.smli.com, untarred them in the same subdirectory,
>  > and built and installed just tk.
>
>  Hmm...
>
>  I think we have bigger problem and that is perhaps some that are
>  running current shouldn't be running current.

For those willing to accept the "risks", I'd actually prefer to see it
that way. Bugs are usually shaken out first in current, and having
only developers run that code means it gets significantly less
exposure. Still, your comment is valid. I just wouldn't like to see
it become so much as a discouragement to run -current as a warning to
those who would like to do so that it isn't the platform to pick if
you want to run a stable system that won't require some reconfiguration
now and then.

While I also "complained" on this same issue in the earlier thread, my
complaint did not relate directly to any inconvenience I personally
suffered (in fact, I've already been running tcl/tk8 for some weeks with
some apps - all of them had to be adjusted, but only TkDesk broke beyond
all repair), just its effect on ports and attempting to define some
solutions (which have been largely shrugged off for little reason,
but then - I don't see things from the same perspective and I'm
obviously missing something). I'm quite prepared to put up with
those sorts of problems, as should anyone who runs -current. I believe
that Satoshi's final "solution" which I first saw suggested by Michael
Smith, that the ports tree should be as independent as possible from
the base system, is probably for the best anyway.

tcl and perl (does anything in the source tree use embedded perl yet?
nvi?) are probably "special" in this regard because their interface
tends to be very library version dependant, and with tcl there is
the problem with init.tcl and other anciliaries. APIs for other
libraries are usually added to and enhanced, but rarely actually
change so radically.

As someone pointed out, if the new tcl8 initialisation files were
moved into /usr/libdata/tcl8.0/ rather than their current location,
it would mitigate problems with any transition from 2.2 to -current
as the existing files and libraries would remain intact. I honestly
hope this is changed at some point before the 3.0 release. It would
also have the side-effect that the version in the -current branch
of the day can change without yet another a repeat of this entire
episode. It is quite possible that we'll see tcl version 8.1 or
higher before 3.0 looks even close to release. If it has to be
there, and apparently it does, I'd far prefer to see it maintained
and kept current.

Regards,
David

--
David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/