Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 22:05:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, Michael.Bielicki@linkdesign.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

> I think it was somebody named "Jordan" when he said something about
> token ring being so "dead" that it wasn't even worth the effort of
> writing any code for.

Hey, I was just going by the evidence in front of me (4 year's worth
of discussion about token ring and no actual implementation of same by
all those folks saying how much they liked/wanted/needed TR support).
I wasn't attempting to turn this into an ongoing debate.  Someone also
sent me private mail also saying "gee, thanks a lot for shooting down
our token ring porting effort, you knob!" and I replied that if yet
another token ring effort had started up then it was certainly news to
me and I wished them luck, albeit with a certain cynicism about their
chances based on past experience with all the other folks who claimed
to be doing the same work and then just vanished into thin air.

> I guess the Linux folks had a different viewpoint.

More likely they were simply lucky enough to manage to find someone
with both the equipment and the wherewithall to do the work involved.
We've never run into the same situation here and I do hope that this
latest effort doesn't go the way of the previous ones, but we'll just
have to see..

					Jordan