Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 20:25:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        thrawn@linux.nu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports problems when typing make in a ports dir. ( Any )

[re-routed to -questions]

Hi Mattias,

[snip]

> And I did that without any problems what so ever. ( No errors ) And know
> that I try to run as an example:
>
> mount /usr/ports ( over NFS )
> cd /usr/ports/mail/qmail
> make
>
> '===> qmail-1.03-1 : Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk. You
> need a fresh make world or an upgrade kit. Please go to
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirror site and follow the
> instructions.

[snip]

> Let me know if there is more that you want to know, perhaps I have
> forgotten too tell something that is important. Here is my uname -a:
>
> FreeBSD fjat.birch.se 4.6-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.6-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Oct  6
> 10:28:35 CET 1980     root@fjat.birch.se:/usr/src/sys/compile/FJAT  i386

The problem is the date of your maschine. It seems that the date your machine
has is in the 1980's.

The bsd.port.mk file checks for your "systemversion" in /var/db/port.mkversion
or ${PKG_DBDIR}/.mkversion. If you are "in sync" with the makefile in
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk with BSDPORTMKVERSION=YYYYMMDD it will build the
ports.

> So im running 4.6-PRERELEASE, ( stable ) So I don't get whats wrong here.

The date of your machine.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mvh Mattias Björk

Hope that helps

marc

ps: It hit me once too. I will submit a FAQ if someone can point me to the
right  chapter - or perhaps create a new one for dealing with ports / packages.

pps: Perhaps it is useful to check if the system date is behind the date in
bsd.port.mk and issue a warning additional to that already displayed.