Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:05:57 +0200
From:      Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questionable feature- rcvar woes

Wednesday 28 November 2007 21:55:44 kirjutas Trond Endrest=F8l:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:37+0100, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 November 2007 20:16:51 Andrei Kolu wrote:
> > > 1) Disable powerd in rc.conf- comment it out.
> > > # enable_powerd=3D"YES"
> > > 2) Stop powerd
> > > # /etc/rc.d/powerd stop
> > > ...silence- nothing in logs either.
> >
> > Stop for a moment - enable_powerd means actually 'enable action carried
> > by /etc/rc.d/powerd script', using this semantics actually explains all
> > details. Or you could treat it as a stack of a sort, reversing order to
> > 2) 1) just produces desired output.
>
> /etc/rc.d/powerd forcestop
>
> will execute the stop code regardless of the rcvar in /etc/rc.conf or
> similar files.
>
> rc.subr(8) is your friend, or perhaps not.

I know rcvar well enough and that force* feature too, what I don't like is=
=20
that sometimes from command line you'll never know if it is a problem with=
=20
wrong line in rc.conf or something else... Of course it is good if during=20
boot there is no useless messages scrolling. So, rcvar can't detect if it w=
as=20
launched bye rc or from shell?