Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:19:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump on mounted fs

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, David Malone wrote:

>Maybe I should resign to using tar on Linux. Can tar be made not
>to modify the ctime, mtime and atime?

This is what the general consensus on the amanda-users list has been for
some time now.  Linux ext2 dump/restore is massively broken.  If you're
using something like XFS though you can probably get away with
xfs_dump/restore.  Personally I prefer to use tar anyway.  A tar archive
is restorable on most any unix without requiring a vendor/filesystem
specific restore binary be available.  That's one less point of failure
in restoring the backups.  The only place where tar really won't cut it
is when you're using special filesystem features not traditionally
supported by unix, such as filesystem ACLs.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
http://www.geekpunk.net                         bandix@geekpunk.net