Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 10:54:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_2_2

> > This is the real problem. Like many, I've been bitten by this
> > when simply accessing a mailbox via nfs. It won't happen often,
> > but it surely will.
>
> Anyone who accesses a mailbox via NFS is living on the ragged
> edge anyway. ;-)

Not if (1) you have working locking and (2) you use that locking
in your mail programs and (3) NFS does not fail to meet its
specification required commitment to not return a write request
until the data has been committed to disk (ie: don't use SVR4
NFS, or if you do, modify the kernel variables controlling write
gathering on the client and async write on the server to disable
them so that the NFS servers become RFC compliant).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.