Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:06:35 +0000
From:      Alex Drummond <alex@abingdon74.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        zigner@earthlink.net
Subject:   Re: Perl?

On Sunday 20 October 2002 6:41 pm, Tony M. wrote:
> I am running 4.6-release
>
> Does Perl automatically get installed when I install FreeBSD.  If it do=
es
> not, then what is the best/easiest way to check if Perl is installed?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tony

Perl is part of the FreeBSD base system, so yes, it is automatically inst=
alled=20
(Perl 5.005_03 on my 4.7-release system). Perl 5.8 is available in the po=
rts=20
tree if you want a newer version (if you install the perl5.8 port, the=20
executable is called perl5.8.0 so as not to overwrite the perl which come=
s=20
with FreeBSD). I think perl is used in the FreeBSD build process, althoug=
h=20
I'm not sure of that.

Alex