Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 20:08:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   gdb

I saw on the usenet somewhere (I forget, gnu-something maybe) a reference
to an extension to gdb called gdbtk.  I found it at ftp.cygnus.com, and
built it.  It appears to have a neat interface, but like all gdb versions
that haven't been handcrafted to the FreeBSD executeable format, it
couldn't understand it.  I'd really like to play with this ... could
anyone point me toward the right info to help me understand the changes
that need to go into gdb to get this thing to understand us?

It really seems to me that such changes could have been forwarded to
cygnus, which handles the development of gdb, I understand.  Then, they'd
have gdb compiling for us out of the box, and it wouldn't need
handcrafting all the time.  Is this not done because of instability in
FreeBSD'd format?  I thought it'd been stable for quite some time now.
Anyhow, the version that I've compiled with gdbtk is 4.14.88.

If anyone wants to experiment with this, the magic incantation to get it
to compile is to issue configure with --enable-gdbtk.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |