Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 07:49:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        cruisey@b022.aone.net.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Applications for freeBSD

cruisey@b022.aone.net.au writes, with lines up to 321 characters long:

(Please excuse me for making the text legible)

> I am not sure that I should be asking you this question, but I've
> been looking for an hour and a half on the internet and even though
> I have traced several leads, I am no closer to resolving things.
>
> To me, nearly all basic computing in an office needs wordprocessing,
> spreadsheeting and database (with programming language)
> software. Since Windows based programs exist everywhere, it would be
> important for me that such unix programs can readily be used (ie
> just as friendly) by staff who would be asked to convert over.

The good news is: they exist.  Try sc or oleo for the spreadsheet,
Postgres95 for the database, and any of a plethora of text formatters
(first and formost groff and TeX) for the "word processor".

The bad news is, they won't find instant staff acceptance, to put it
mildly.  IMO the spreadsheets are just plain weak, the database stuff
is not oriented towards Windows-like display, and the word-processing
stuff I use would give your staff the screaming heeby-jeebies.  I've
been told that Lyx isn't bad, however.

The trouble with this kind of software is that hackers don't enjoy
writing it, so there aren't many Windows-like applications out there.
The ones that are available cost money.  Word Perfect is available for
SCO and, I think, Linux, and I've been told that it works well under
FreeBSD.

> So where can I find a thorough listing of such software or better
> still, are there people out there who are familiar with my situation
> and can point me to a suite (or good selection) of quality software
> products.

A priori you can expect that stuff which runs under BSD/OS will run
under FreeBSD.  Install the appropriate emulators, and you can run SCO
or Linux stuff.  And take a look at the directory /packages on the
first CD-ROM for available free software.

Greg