Date:      Thu, 11 May 95 11:32:28 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        nc@ai.net, Arjan.deVet@nl.cis.philips.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Guido.VanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com
Subject:   Re: Apache + FreeBSD 2.0 benchmark results (fwd)

>     No, no... I don't have any qualms using "pre-forking" or
> "spawn-ahead" or "born-again" or "raised-from-the-dead" or whatever
> you want to call it.  ;-)  I used the term "demand forking" to
> describe the way older httpd's spawned a new process for each
> connection.  I suppose if no one took exception to that term, it must
> be okay.  :)

It's clear, but it's redundant.  All forking is "demand forking", in
that a fork will not occur unless you "demand" it by calling "fork".

It's like calling the "login" process "demand login" to indicate that
it's the result of a user requesting to be logged in.

My car has "demand start".  8-).

>     Is this how ircd handles multiple connections?  I haven't looked
> at the IRC server source, but it appears to be a prime example of a
> single process juggling dozens or even hundreds of client connections.
> Perhaps a new httpd could be modelled on IRC.  *shudder*  :)

Please, no!  The model is not that effecient in the first place, and
the IRC server is as bad a code example as most muds in the second!

>     Anyhow... back to the unreleased httpd... does "select()-based
> uniprocess" server fit?  Or am I just bastardizing CS terms?  :)

That's the wonderful thing about CS terms -- there are so many to choose
from.  What you have is an I/O Dispatching server according to what I've
been taught .

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---