Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:09:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stunt Pope <markjr@shmOOze.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   superblock corrupted (is BROKEN_KEYNOARD_RESET still applicable?

We're running several PPro200's with freebsd-current 2.2.2. So far these
boxes are in development, not end use. The load on the system is
next to nothing. The hardware was purchased brand new about a month
ago.

Motherboard: ASUS KN97-X
Chipset: Triton Intel 440FX PCIset

All the boxes are using Seagate ST32272N SCSI hardrives, the scsi
controller is an adaptec 2940.

At any rate, someone used the "reboot" command to reboot the one server
and it came back up with a "Insert System Disk" prompt. I.e. the boot
sector was hosed, the superblock toast, or the BSD disklabel was gone.

Today, on another machine, someone was logged in and ran the "df"
command, at which point the machine rebooted and when it came back up
the superblock was hosed and we had to run fsck manually in single-user
mode.

All this alarms me. It's is my first project using freeBSD and I'm not
used to seeing superblocks get wasted for no good reason. I'm guessing
there has to be something we can do, a la recompile the kernel with
customized options, etc. Looking through the mailing list archives the
closest symptoms I can find were references to setting BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET
in the kernel. I think this might be what we're looking for. Anyone
have any info regarding this or similar experiences?

thx in advance, markjr

---
Mark Jeftovic                   aka: mark jeff or vic, stunt pope.
markjr@shmOOze.net              http://www.shmOOze.net/~markjr
PWC's BOFH                      http://www.PrivateWorld.com
irc: L-bOMb                     Keep `em Guessing