Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:04:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        todd ritzka <acidrop50@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help???

todd ritzka wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> hello i need help. i forgot my root password and now i
> cant login as root anymore, please help!

Oh no!  :-)

Reboot the system (Ctrl-Alt-Delete will do this cleanly, unless you have
explicitly disabled it in your kernel... In which case you may need to
take the plunge and hard-reset).  Of course, /sbin/reboot would be the
other way to do it... But you're not logged in as root, are you?  (Are
you?)

When the boot prompt comes up, boot into single user mode (boot -s), and,
when your shell is loaded (denoted by the # prompt), type ``passwd''
(without the quotes, of course) to change root's password.

> also, i need instruction on how to download files from
> the ftp site, i have no idea how to do this, any
> direction would be much apprechiated!!!!!!!!

man ftp

Virtually yours,
- Ryan Thompson

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2