Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 1997 02:24:38 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        Doug Kite <dkite@co.lenoir.nc.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: input filter for lp

> On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Doug Kite wrote:
> > Here's the /etc/printcap entry:
> > lp|hp|hp4v|HP Laserjet 4V|\
> >  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
> >  :rm=192.168.0.15:\
> >  :rp=text:\
> >  :lp=:\
> >  :if=/usr/bin/lpfilter:\
> >  :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
> >  :sh:
>
> I think that you will need to install the filter on the
> remote system and have it's lpd configured to use the filter.

Not true in -current (and I think I brought the changes back into
2.2).  You can now use filters w/ remote printers.... since 2.2.2
AFAIR.  The only difference is that output filters will be executed
once per job when remote printing ('cos it has to figure out how big
the file is before talking to the remote lpd).

Perhaps the problem is that the filter doesn't have a

  #! /bin/sh

at the top.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>