Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:51:07 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jmcl@Acucobol.IE
Cc:        "Gregory G. Losik" <gregor@cc.gatech.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /: file system is full

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 02:07:12PM +0000, John McLaughlin wrote:
> On  6 Sep 97 at 23:12, Gregory G. Losik wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is really easy one but I wasn't able to find anything that simple in
>> archives and maybe you can refer me to some manual where I can learn more...
>>
>> I just installed 2.2.2 on my 1gig partition.  Used auto for creation of /,
>> /usr, /var, and /proc FS.  Installed X, and later during addition of
>> other packages got something like "/: file system is full"  df -k reports
>> 109% used for /.
>> Basicly, I am trying to find out what are my options and what tools can I
>> use to change things (lots of rm:)?  What's best configuration?
>>
>> Now, my / is 31M, /usr is ~1gig, and /var = 30M.  Don't have any data yet.
>
> 	Did you by chance install Linux compatibility (or any other for that
> matter).This will install all the Linux lib stuff into /compat, and
> will *very* quickly hose a 32Mb root partition, I've been there.

Thanks.  This looks like being the correct answer.

> 	The way round it is to create a compat directory in /usr and symlink
> it to /compat, and *then* install the packages. With a 31Mb root,
> this is also a good time to symlink /tmp to /usr/tmp, as I've run out
> of unpacking space on small root partitions occasionally while
> unpacking space hungry things like Perl, Emacs et al.

I don't know whether to recommend this solution as standard.  I'm
using it myself (sorry, I suppose I should have thought of it earlier,
but I did it some time ago, and didn't think about it).  I find that
my Linux compatibility takes up 13.5 MB.

The other alternative is, of course, to recommend a 45 MB root slice.
There's nothing so holy about /compat that it *should* be in the root
slice, but I don't like gratuituous symlinks either.  I'm copying
FreeBSD-hackers on this--there's a good chance that they'll have some
input.  Please follow up to -hackers.

Greg