Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 110 08:28:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        jalves@bsi.com.br, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restrict ftp

> On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Joao Alves Junior wrote:
>
> > Could anyone tell me if there are some way to close the users of ftp in a
> > /home/username ????
> >  I want that the users of my machine can just work in yours areas.
>
> Users that login through ftp have the same permissions as if they
> telnetted in and used their shell account.  If your permissions are set
> right then they can't do any more damage than they could from their
> normal login.
>
> You may be able to hack something with wu-ftpd; it's pretty
> configurable.  I'm not a wu-ftpd guru so I can't say for sure, though.

	Nothing needs to be *hacked* -- just read the man pages,
	add all of the users that you wish to restrict to some
	group (like 'ftponly').  Add the group to your /etc/group file
	and list that group in your ftpaccess file with a 'guestgroup'
	directive.

	You can then use wu-ftpd's features to force all ftp access by
	members of this group into suitably configured chroot'd
	environments.

	It's all in the man pages (somewhere) and wu-ftpd is covered
	pretty thoroughly in O'Reilly's _Managing_Internet_Information_
	_Services_ (the "marmot" book).

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,
McAfee Associates