Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:17:49 -0400
From:      Steve Zweep <steve@borderware.com>
To:        "Ian Dowse" <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Joe@borderware.com, Joplin@borderware.com, "John A. Hengstler" <john@hei.net>, "E. Jordan Bojar" <fsckd@hotmail.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: READ_BIG problems

Ian Dowse wrote:

> Could people seeing this and other ATA problems try the patch below?
> This should fix some unlikely races that could potentially be
> responsible for these problems, though I suspect it will not make
> any difference.
>
> The second part of the patch is a workaround for the "atprq" hangs
> on ATAPI tape drives.
>
> Ian

I never had trouble with READ_BIG, but *did* experience atprq hangs on
ATAPI tape drives. These would occur during a tape rewind operation
using either "mt rewind" or even "< /dev/rast0". Applying the second
part of the patch has fixed the problem. Thanks!

- Steve

--

Steve Zweep
Senior Software Engineer