Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 20:33:06 -0500
From:      "Keith A. Fredericks" <keith@kellysoftware.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mounting msdos filesystem

Hey FreeBSDers,

I wrote a few weeks ago about a horrible problem that I was having where
my filesystems were vaporizing.  Fix possibilities from my problem report
were bleak, i.e. get a new disk, controller, or cable.  Anyway, I went
through all of the possibly funny stuff I might be doing and remembered
a mild warning on the mount_msdos man page about unpredictable stuff for
DOS greater than 3.3.

I took the entry that mounted the msdos filesystem out of my fstab and what
do you know?  I have had no problems whatsoever since then.  I have been a
little shy to retest the hypothesis that mounting msdos is hosing my system.
But, if this is the case, I am thinking about the possibility of a more
stern warning to the mount_msdos man page reader.

Does anyone use DOS 3.3 now?  Do people mount >3.3 filesystems successfully?
Do people have experience mounting Windows 95 level DOS filesystems?

-keith