Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:16:19 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Joao Pedras <jpedras@webvolution.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Very slow disk transfers (was: freezing)

On Wednesday, 16 February 2000 at 17:52:42 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Joao Pedras <jpedras@webvolution.net> [000216 17:50] wrote:
>> Hello all
>>
>> While making -j 4 buildworld and moving a netscape window, everything frozen.
>> Happens often if do other things while cpu and disk are very active.
>>
>> Happens quite often.
>>
>> Anyone else has noticed this ?
>
> Do you mean dead frozen, as in needs a reboot? or frozen for a second or
> so?
>
> The first one I haven't seen recently, the second I have noticed.

I'm seeing the second situation.  I've been following it up and find
that I have a number of requests which take an inordinate amount of
time in the driver strategy routine:

Feb 17 12:50:00 freebie /kernel: Request took 10.373469 seconds, dev 3.31, block 5468256, length 16384

The time here is between entering adstrategy (in this case) and
biodone.  It happens on SCSI drives too, so it doesn't appear to be a
problem with a specific driver.  If anybody has a suggestion what I
should look for next, I'd be grateful.

Greg