Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:45:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steven Rutter <steven@che.softaid.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   TI Extensa sound config

Now that spring break has arrived I am going to sit down and try to
"finish" my freebsd installation. I still have to get my printer to work,
and get sound support. The sound support is what I am going to ask about
here.

I am not sure what the sound card is [the manual says Sound Blaster
compatible]. The computer is a Texas Instruments 610CDT Extensa.

This is what was recommended to me by a fellow TI notebook owner [but it
has not worked for me]. This is taking from my kernel config:

controller   snd0
options      SBC_IRQ=5
device       sb0   at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
device       pca0  at isa? port IO_TIMER1 tty

My dmesg shows this:

pca0: on motherboard
pca0: PC speaker audio driver
sb0 not found at 0x220

So I gather the pca0 line is fine. But obviously the sb0 line is not.

My computers user's guide has two tables that I thought would prove
useful:

	I/O Address Map

Address Range		Device
- -----------		- ----
...			...
220-22F, 240-24F	Audio (option)
300-301, 330-331	Audio (option)
370-371, 388-38F	Audio (option)
530-537, E80-E87	Audio (option)
...			...

Now, I assume the "(option)" means it is optional to purchase audio in the
computer. Well I do have it. The second table is:

	Interrupt Levels

Priority	Interrupt Number	Interrupt Source
- ------	- --------------	- --------------
7		IRQ 10			Audio (option) / PCMCIA
8		IRQ 11			Audio (option) / PCMCIA
15		IRQ 5			Parallel port (option) / Audio

I hope by posting all of this information someone will be able to offer me
some advice or even an entire workable solution. :) I have no experience
with IRQ, memory range, etc... Thanks!

-Steven Rutter  <steven@che.softaid.net>