Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 00:55:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6.1 in the base....

[Apologies for getting into this discussion late... I just a few hours
ago got back from LISA in San Diego.]

>Nope.  The perl in -current is 5.6.0.  The problem is that the Perl upgrades
>are quite hard to do and get right.

And the Perl in -stable should stay as it is, unless you want to start
erecting a giant banner that reads, ``FreeBSD Project screws -stable
users yet again''.

Remember, whenever the Perl version changes, every single Perl
extension on the system has to be (at best) reinstalled.  That's
assuming, of course, that you can find them all.

-GAWollman