Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:40:02 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent commit changes extattr backing file format, users beware

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Robert Watson wrote:

> I hope not to change the format any further.  I've been considering
> introducing a backing file header version number of some sort, but this is
> only necessary if we think the backing file format will change much more.

	I'm vote for the version number at the begining of file header.
You may wish to change a header, change file layout etc., because extattr
support is just born and should reserve a way to grow.

	In addition, it allows to write a simple 'extattrupgrade' utility
which will make above tasks more transparent to the end users.
(extattrdowngrade also may have some use :)

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/