Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 17:42:04 +0000
From:      James Raynard <jraynard@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/5050

On Sat, Nov 15, 1997 at 10:47:14AM -0500, Evan Champion wrote:

> tcl 8.0 beta is already there...  Unless I'm way off, someone just needs
> to sync up the .c and .h files with the 8.0p1 distribution...

I was talking about perl - did I get the PRs mixed up?  That seems to
be on a par with everything else I've done recently :-(

Anyway, the basic point is that putting something into the base source
tree isn't just a question of getting it to compile or copying over an
existing port - it also involves fitting it into the way the source
tree works, in particular converting everything to use Berkeley make
files (I can assure you this isn't as trivial as it sounds).

As you probably know, FreeBSD is a volunteer project.  This means that
the only way something gets done is if someone with the ability and the
motivation to do it finds the time to do it.  The usual "motivation" for
getting something done, namely waving money around, isn't available
(although I'm sure no-one would object to a precedent being set :-) and
leaping up and down shouting "My god, this is so out of date it's
outrageous!" is more likely to antagonise people (I'm not accusing you
personally of that, just trying to explain the situation).

On the other hand, being a volunteer project means that it's open to
everyone to contribute, and this can often be the quickest way to get
something you want done.  So if there is anyone out there who feels
up to doing the necessary, go for it!

--
In theory, theory is better than practice.  In practice, it isn't.
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.   http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/