Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:54:16 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        bright@hotjobs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, zach@gaffaneys.com
Subject:   Re: bitten 3 times already.

> >> Dumps and LBA mode should't be mixed, since the dump routine doesn't
> >> support LBA mode and it uses CHS mode with nominal geometry if LBA mode
> >
> >Why is this so?  I don't see why it shouldn't use LBA, too if LBA is
> >on for the drive.  That it doesn't support that now seems pretty easy
> >to fix to me.  Just change the way it calculates the numbers and that's
> >it as far as I can see from my docs and what wd does.
>
> Because no one implemented it, and there is not much point in implementing
> LBA mode in any part of the driver until there is a drive that doesn't
> support CHS mode.

If dumps and LBA mode shouldn't be used together, it would be useful to
have a warning about that somewhere, since a lot of BIOSes seem to want
to use LBA as default for newer big IDE disks.

Below is a suggested patch to the dumpon.8 manual page to include such
a warning.

*** sbin/dumpon/dumpon.8.orig	Mon Aug 31 18:41:06 1998
--- sbin/dumpon/dumpon.8	Tue Oct 13 10:50:46 1998
***************
*** 116,121 ****
--- 116,124 ----
  Because the filesystem layer is already dead by the time a crash dump
  is taken, it is not possible to send crash dumps directly to a file.
  .Pp
+ The kernel crash dump is written using CHS addressing. Kernel crash
+ dumps should not be enabled for disks running in LBA mode.
+ .Pp
  .Nm Dumpon
  currently allows only devices with minor number 1 to be used as dump
  devices.