Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 08:11:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@ns.aus.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adding readdir entries to the name cache ...

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 6:29 AM +0930 7/6/02, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >Hmmm, I think that the major part of the problem there was that,
> >for what ever reason, Barry Feigenbaum of IBM, declined to add
> >a Change Working Directory or Set Working Diretory command to
> >the SMB protocol.
> >
> >Thus, at least for the SMB protocol, and maybe generally, Windows
> >clients  must always send the full pathname for every file they
> >want, unless it happens to be at the root of the share.
>
> Could the unix process for samba fake that?  Keep track of the
> most recently used directory, and when a new request comes in
> split it into "directory" plus "filename", and if the directory
> is the same as the previous one, then just access the filename.
> If the directory is different, try to do a chdir() to the new
> directory, and if that succeeds then save that as the "previous"
> directory.

Yes it can do that, and should do that. I will have to check what Samba
does. I know I proposed adding a path cache to smbclient/smbtar so that it
could avoid repeatedly, and even a cache of one path could make a big
difference.

> Or is that more trouble than it's worth?

No, I think it is worth a lot. I suspect Samba already does that. There is
just so much code to look at.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe@ns.aus.com, rsharpe@samba.org,