Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 07:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      stanislav shalunov <shalunov@att.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10545: When a fork/exec stress test is run, the machine locks up

The following reply was made to PR kern/10545; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: stanislav shalunov <shalunov@att.com>
To: sheldonh@iafrica.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:59:48 -0500 (EST)

 > From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>

 > I've tried your stress test on my 4.0-CURRENT box (built today) and I
 > don't get a lock-up. Instead, I get thousands of these after the first
 > few seconds:

 What results do you get for the default run (without arguments)?

 > Mar 26 03:15:15 axl /kernel: proc: table i
 > Mar 26 03:15:15 axl /kernel: proc: table is full
 > Mar 26 03:15:15 axl last message repeated 43 times
 > Mar 26 03:15:15 axl /kernel: p
 > Mar 26 03:15:15 axl /kernel: proc: table is full
 > [...]

 I would expect something like this.  (I don't quite understand why
 syslogd is missing *parts* of messages--I would expect it either to
 get message or to lose it,--but that's another story.)

 > I woulda thought this to be expected behaviour. Have you tried your test
 > on a CURRENT box?

 I would actually prefer to keep this a -release box.  If -current
 doesn't lock up, then there must be a reason for this.  (Other than
 that your hardware might have some slightly different timings subtly
 affecting the kernel, or that your other system activity pattern is
 different.)

 What kernel patches might be relevant, anyone?

 --
 	stanislav shalunov@att.com	732-576-3252