Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 13:15:35 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Nakata Maho <chat95@mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp>
Cc:        lancew@psu.edu, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Fortran Compiler?

Nakata Maho wrote:

>>In our case, the availability of the Intel FORTRAN compiler is extremely
>>important.  We are building a 20 node (40 processor) computational
>>biochemistry cluster and if there is no Intel Fortran compiler available
>>then we will have to go with Linux instead of FreeBSD.  When you have
>>code that runs for days or even months, 20-30% makes a huge difference
>>in wall clock time.
>
> Yes, I know. Such difference is quite important.

> I'll change this when some committer handle my port.

I'm no fortran guy, and I don't want to download it from Intel. If there's
no other committer with _real_ interest in it I may commit it if the
following happens:
  - update your port
  - portlint it
  - tell us the URL to it
  - try to convince some people to give it a try
  - those people have to send me the output of
    "uname -a; ls -laF /var/db/pkg"

I will visually inspect the port after this and if I don't find some
things I don't like I commit it.

Bye,
Alexander.