Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 11:04:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        phk@dk.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, phk@dk.tfs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backwards compatibiliy for isa_driver

> >Have you looked at how Sun Solaris does similar things?
>
> yes, and I don't really like it :-)

Me neither.  If you are going to do a registry, you might as well
go for LDAP schema compatability so you can export it as an LDAP
service branch and integrate it into an X.500 global directory,
or at the very least enable remote management via LDAP tools.

Personally, I think there are a lot of good reasons to have a
registry, not the least of which is that rc.conf/sysconfig is
a gross hack looking for a registry to save it from drowning
in its own excrement.

But DEVFS persistent storage, and ISA device persistant storage
are not good uses of such a beast, IMO.  There are better was to
solve these problems than throwing a persistent (and potentially
stale, and therefore high maintenance) store at them.

The Sun routines, bogus as they are, are for runtime conflict
resoloution more than they are for persistance (IMO), since once
set, there's no reason that they will ever change without a hardware
reconfiguration some time down the line.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.