Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 00:06:41 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd(?) sh/make behaviour.

In the last episode (Feb 24), Mike Smith said:
> > I just saw this exact same problem in an Imakefile provided with
> > the "vnc" program ( http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/ ); a PC-Anywhere-type
> > program that lets you control a win95-PC or X-terminal from a
> > win95-PC, X-terminal, or Java-enabled web browser.  It's the first
> > free app I've seen that lets you control a PC from X.
>
> Funny, that's just what I was finishing a port for.  8)

One of my coworkers was showing it off on his Linux machine, so I
decided I has to get it compiled under FreeBSD before I went home...

> Hmm, what did you patch?  I just dug up some more-or-less right Imake
> templates off a stale Linux distribution and fixed an include in one
> file.  I'll be committing it in a few minutes...

The following _almost_ works.  I must have forgotten a #define
somewhere, as DBMLibrary gets #defined to 0, which screws up line 89 of
Xvnc/programs/Xserver/Imakefile.  The link line ends up with a "-lm 0"
at the end.  I'm not sure what lines 86-90 are trying to do (should I
#define XFree86Version in FreeBSD.cf?).

1. Adjust the Imakefile in the root directory to remove the "unset" stuff

2. Create a minimal FreeBSD.cf file in Xvnc/config/: (This could
   probably be improved; I've never used xmkmf so I don't know what
   #defines are required.  I just kept adding things until I got a
   clean compile)

	#define OSName			FreeBSD
	#define OSMajorVersion		2
	#define OSMinorVersion		2
	#define HasPutenv		YES
	#define HasShm			YES
	#define AvoidNullMakeCommand	YES
	#define BuildPexExt		NO
	#define HasNdbm			YES
	#define XvncServer		YES
	#define DBMLibrary		NO

3. add to Xvnc/config/site.def.vncxmkmf, around line 53

	#ifdef FreeBSDArchitecture
	#define ProjectRoot /usr/X11R6
	#endif

4. xmkmf ; make world ; ./vncinstall /usr/local/bin

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com