Date:      Wed, 29 May 96 01:58:31 -0400
From:      Isaac Arias <arias@ven.net>
To:        "Bugs at FreeBSD" <bugs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems downloading bin dist.

Hello,

I recently downloaded the boot floppy form FreeBSD 2.1 Release. I'm
currently testing Linux on another machine and I'm very interested in
FreeBSD. I admire your dedication and responsibility, and the way it is
reflected in your Web site and documentation.

I haven't been able to install the system and I was wondering if you
could help. I will use the FTP media type option to install the software
over a 14.400 modem (I've got the time!). Until now, I have been able to
create the partition and the file systems and the installation program
indicates that it has downloaded the root files. When downloading the bin
distribution however, the output on VT2 looks like this:

/stand/cpio: invalid header: checksum error
/stand/cpio: warning: skipped XX bytes of junk
/stand/cpio: cannot remove current: Is a directory
..
gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data -- format violated
/stand/cpio: premature end of file

Am I doing something wrong? Is the data getting corrupted?

The hardware is an NCR 3230 machine:
486 @ 50 MHz.
8MB Ram
160MB HD

and the ethernet adaptor brings me to another question:

You mention support for the Intel EtherExpress and later for the
EtherExpress Pro/100B PCI Fast Ethernet. My machine is equiped with an
Intel EtherExpress Pro (without the 100B PCI stuff). Would this be a
supported Network Interface Card?

Any help would be greatly apprecitated,

Regards,

Isaac Arias