Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 23:52:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Tomas Klockar <dateck@ludd.luth.se>
To:        mgessner@winc.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with 810MB drive

According to Matthew Gessner:
> Hi all,
>

>       I have an 810MB hd (config. 1647/16/63) that I need to use on my FreeBSD
> machine.
I hope you have a new bios. Othervise it will wrap when it gets to 1024
and overwrite your bootsector. FreeBSD doesn't care about that but DOS does
you might also have a controller that cant handle that many sectors.

>         The BIOS accepts these parameters, even though it doesn't ask
> about LBA.
My bios accepts the parameters to. But it doesn't work with more then 1024
sectors.

>         When I start the installation, I can configure everything OK,
> but when I reboot, the BIOS says No Boot Sector.  I've made sure that
> when I created the partitions, I set up the BootMgr to load.
>
>         What am I doing wrong?  I've installed on smaller disks with
> just the defaults with no problems.  I've even tried to make multiple
> partitions, but the '>' flag shows up on the last one.
>
>         How can I make this work?  Will I need a boot floppy?
>
>         I'm really pulling my hair out with this.  I don't want to have
> to pull another, smaller 500MB drive out of another machine.  I need
> this one.

I still guess its your big drive. 1024*512*16*63=504MB

>         Also, I tried to format the disk under DOS, but it won't even
> let me make partitions on the disk.
>
>         When I am in the middle of the installation, the file system
> looks OK, and I can do lots of things with it (this is the Alt-F3 screen
> while sysinstall is running).
>
>         Thanks in advance,
>
>         Matt Gessner

It might work if you set it to just 1024 sectors in the bios. Use the upper
part of the disc only in freebsd. DOS can't handle it. Unless you have a new
bios preferebly less then 2 years old.

/Tomas

--
Tomas Klockar can be found at the following adresses:

Kårhusvägen 4, 2:43  |  Furuvägen 102       |  dateck@ludd.luth.se
977 54 Luleå         |  871 52 Härnösand    |  dateck@solace.mh.se
Tel: +46-920-229391  |  Tel: +46-611-13393  |  d94-tkl@sm.luth.se