Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:23:04 -0600
From:      David Kelly N4HHE <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail tricks

Ruslan Ermilov writes:
> Hi!
>
> I have to rewrite sender's address based on the recipient's address.
>
> Example:

> 	I have a local alias <Oracle-L@ucb.crimea.ua>, which
> 	is subscribed to the list. Now, when I send mail to
> 	ORACLE-L@DBINFO.COM, I want it to be sent from
> 	Oracle-L@ucb.crimea.ua, not from ru@ucb.crimea.ua.
>
> Anyone knows HOW can I do this?

You are "ru@ucb.crimea.ua" but when *you* send the message you want it
to say you are really "Oracle-L@ucb.crimea.ua"? I don't know how you do
it in ELM but in MH (actually using exmh2) I simply put an appropriate
From: line in ~/Mail/{distcomps,replcomps} in order to take care of the
problem of a dailup network connection and dynamic IP address.

Exmh places this From: line in the composition window, so its easy to
change on a per-message basis. I added "N4HHE" to this message just for
kicks.

Is that the kind of thing you were thinking about?

Another way, probably frought with problems would be to create yet
another alias but this time one that forwards to ORACLE-L@DBINFO.COM.
If you forward thru bulk_mailer (see ports/mail/bulk_mailer) it has
options to rewrite Reply-To and other headers. That might do what you
want.