Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:53:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bootparamd and /etc/rc

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:52:34PM +0100, dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl wrote:
> > I could find no reference to 'bootparamd' in any file in the /etc tree
> > (with one exception for /etc/rpc, but that was not what I was looking
> > for).
> > Shouldn't there be an entry in rc.network and in defaults/rc.conf?
> >
> > Or did I miss something?
>
> I've typically seen bootparamd(8) run out of inetd(8).
> --
> Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark@alum.mit.edu
>                                    |     cjclark@jhu.edu
> http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjc@freebsd.org

Crist, I think you are thinking of bootpd(8).

man bootparamd says:

DESCRIPTION
   Bootparamd is a server process that provides information to diskless(8)
   clients necessary for booting.  It consults the /etc/bootparams file.

It starts once and listens for 'whoami' requests. I use it to net-boot my
uVAX.

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas