Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:24:11 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Current" <FreeBSD-Current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: aout / elf library directories

From: Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
>A new Emacs is being tested for release, and I'm looking at one line
>in the FreeBSD-specific configuration file:
>
>  #define START_FILES pre-crt0.o /usr/lib/crt0.o
>
>Is -current's /usr/lib/{aout,elf} going to persist for a while (which
>would imply I should try to get this changed before release), or is it
>a fairly temporary condition?

Don't know how long it's going to persist, but it will most likely persist
through the 3.0 RELEASES.

/usr/lib/aout, and elf libraries in /usr/lib.

You'll probably need something like the following:

#if (defined __FreeBSD__ >= 3 ) && ( __FreeBSD_version >= 300003 ) &&
 !defined(BINFORMAT)  || ( BINFORMAT == aout ))
#Allow the build to work on 3.0-CURRENT w/aout libraries
#define START_FILES pre-crt0.o /usr/lib/aout/crt0.o
#else
# Allow the build to work on 3.0-CURRENT w/elf libraries
# or 2.x w/aout libraries
#define START_FILES pre-crt0.o /usr/lib/crt0.o
#endif

Scot